• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Unattended candles to blame for structure fire in Ventura

A fire tore through a structure on the 9600 block of Tule Lake Street in Ventura on Wednesday Nov. 28, 2012. Firefighters say unattended candles left on a fireplace mantel are to blame.
November 28, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
Firefighters say unattended candles left on a fireplace mantel are to blame for a structure fire in Ventura early Wednesday morning.

The fire broke out around 3:39 a.m. at a structure in the 9600 block of Tule Lake Street.

Ventura City firefighters say a fire suppression sprinkler system extinguished the fire but caused severe water damage to the structure.

Firefighters remained on scene to assist the homeowner in salvaging personal belongings and furniture as well as remove water from the residence.

No one was hurt.

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.


Load Comments