• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Mother saves son from apartment fire, possibly left paralyzed

A mother in Massachusetts saved her son from a fire in their apartment. The rescue has potentially left her paralyzed.
May 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM PDT
A mother in Massachusetts saved her son from a fire in their apartment. The rescue has potentially left her paralyzed.

Christina Simoes jumped over 30 feet from her third-story unit in Haverhill, Mass., with her 18-month-old son, Cameron, in her arms.

Cameron suffered minor injuries, but Christina shattered her vertebrae and could not get back up. She told Cameron to look for safety.

"I told him to run," said Simoes.

After undergoing a six-hour surgery, it is unclear if she will ever be able to walk again. But it seems Simoes would do it again.

"All the pain, all of this that I'm going to go through is worth it to see him run around and play," said Simoes. "We lost everything but that doesn't matter to me because I have all that matters."

Late Saturday night, Simoe's family members said they believed they saw her toes wiggle.

ABC News contributed to this report.


Load Comments