• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Testimonies focus on Conrad Murray's calls

January 7, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
Testimonies on the third day of the preliminary hearing of Michael Jackson's doctor focused on phone calls the doctor made the day the singer died. Subpoenaed records show Dr. Conrad Murray was on his cell phone at 11:51 a.m. on June 25, 2009. Prosecutors believe it was during that 11-minute call from the Holmby Hills mansion that the doctor noticed Jackson had stopped breathing.

Murray's call was to Sade Anding, a Houston cocktail waitress who he referred to as his girlfriend.

Anding testified on Friday that the doctor was distracted when he called her the morning of Jackson's death.

Anding said she realized at one point that Murray wasn't paying attention to her and she heard coughing and mumbling but didn't recognize the voice as Murray.

"I heard commotion as if the phone was in a pocket or something," Anding said.

On Thursday, Los Angeles police Det. Dan Myers told the court Murray made a number of phone calls on the day Jackson died--calls that could've interfered with Jackson's care.

Murray faces a single count of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the pop star's death. He's pled not guilty and maintains that he didn't do anything wrong.

Two other girlfriends testified on Friday, including Nicole Alvarez, a cocktail waitress and actress who met Murray in a Las Vegas gentleman's club. Alvarez had Murray's baby and they shared a Los Angeles apartment.

Alvarez testified reluctantly about signing for packages delivered to the home. Prosecutors believe the five shipments, made between April and mid-June, were shipments of propofol from a Las Vegas pharmaceutical company.

The prosecution said Jackson died from an overdose of the drug propofol, which Murray had been giving Jackson as a sleep aid.

Four Days after Jackson died, a coroner's investigator got a tip. A detective told her that inside Jackson's Holmby Hills mansion there were drugs and medical paraphernalia that were overlooked.

Elissa Fleak from the coroner's office testified she found them stuffed in bags and stowed in a large armoire. She said there were blood pressure cuffs and vials of lidocaine, a drug used to numb the skin.

There were a half dozen bottles of various benzodiazepines, which are muscle relaxants. More significant for the prosecution was 11 bottles and vials of propofol, the sedative which is blamed for Jackson's cardiac arrest.

Fleak testified that she had previously found an empty bottle near Jackson's bed as well as a broken syringe.

Murray's defense seized on that during cross-examination, probing to find out whether the items were in arms reach of the bed. The questioning suggests the defense theory that Jackson injected himself with the propofol when Murray wasn't looking.

The first paramedic at the scene testified that Murray never told him about the drug, even when Murray was specifically asked what drugs Jackson was on.

Murray will be asked to testify during the preliminary hearing. A judge will determine if there is enough evidence for Murray to stand trial.

If Murray is found guilty, he could face up to four years in prison.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.