Not wearing a mask in these California cities will cost you and it could be a hefty fine.
WATCH: Who's exempt from California's mandatory mask mandate? Stanford doctor explains
How exactly the mask mandate is being enforced depends on local jurisdictions. Some towns are depending on people's goodwill, and others are forcing violators to pay up.
These California cities and counties have implemented fines for not wearing a mask or face covering in public:
- Beverly Hills: $100 fine for the first offense, $200 for second, $500 for third and subsequent offenses
- Calabasas: $100 for first violation
- Claremont: First-time offenders will be given a warning and offered a face mask. After that, fines would start at $100. People in exempt categories will not be cited.
- Compton: Violators will get a written warning for the first violation, $500 fine for a second violation, $750 for a third violation, and $1,000 for the fourth.
- Contra Costa County: $100 fine for an individual's first violation, $200 for second and $500 for third; $250 for a business's first violation, $500 for second and $1,000 for third
- Costa Mesa: $100 fine
- Duarte: $100 for first offenses, $200 for second offenses, and $500 for every subsequent violation within a one-year period from the initial offense
- Fremont: $100 fine
- Glendale: $400 for the first fine, $1,000 for the second fine and $2,000 for the third
- Hermosa Beach: Citations will come with fines of $100 for the first violation, $200 for a second violation and $500 for each subsequent violation of the face mask requirement within a one-year period.
- Irvine: Penalties up to $500 per day
- Manhattan Beach: $100 for the first violation, $200 for the second and $350 for subsequent violations
- Marin County: Fines between $25 and $500 for individuals, and between $250 to $10,000 for businesses
- Monterey: $100 for first violation
- Napa County: Fines between $25 and $500 for individuals, and between $250 to $10,000 for businesses
- Salinas: $100 for first violation, $500 for second and $1,000 for subsequent
- Santa Monica: $100 fine for an individual's first violation, $250 for second and $500 for third; $500 for a business's first violation, $750 for second and $1,000 for third
- West Hollywood: $300 for first violation
- Yolo County: Fine between $25 and $500 for individuals; fine between $250 to $10,000 for businesses
This story will be updated as more cities opt to fine people for not wearing face coverings.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
To see full state guidance on wearing mask and face coverings, see the order from the Department of Public Health here.