Cellphone video captured Jayne and Leonard Johnson's dramatic escape from their campground and both said they were still in shock.
"I was afraid, yes, but I couldn't let it show because of my wife," said Leonard Johnson. "If I let my fear show, it's contagious."
The Johnsons had just spent Christmas at the Emma Woods campground in Ventura and woke up to the sound of banging on their motor home door.
They quickly packed up and headed out. Leonard Johnson drove their motor home and his wife took their Jeep.
They were briefly blocked in by a fellow camper at the exit but were able to get out minutes later. When they did, they realized just how close the flames actually were.
Jayne Johnson said at one point, the heat coming through her glass window was almost unbearable.
Her husband quickly considered their options.
He said, "If nothing else, we could just park our car and walk into the ocean, you know?"
The two eventually made it out with their home and belongings fully intact. Though their post-Christmas weekend didn't turn out as planned, they said they have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season.
"It's all on account of the fireman," said Leonard Johnson. "If they hadn't been there to wake us up, to escort us out, we would have slept through it, and probably burned to death."