• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

DiCaprio sues over basketball court

February 9, 2008 12:00:00 AM PST
It's hardly a titanic struggle, but a dispute between Leonardo DiCaprio and his neighbors isn't departing anytime soon. DiCaprio and the cousin from whom he rents a house are suing dozens of building contractors in an ongoing legal fight over a basketball court that neighbors claim destabilized their Hollywood Hills property.

The cross-complaint filed Jan. 30 lists contractors hired by the neighbors and by DiCaprio and cousin Robert Hrtica themselves.

Neighbors Joan and Robert Linclau sued DiCaprio and Hrtica in May for at least $250,000 in damages. They claimed their property was illegally excavated and some plants removed in 2004. They also said the work undermined a slope behind their home and left their deck and pool in danger of collapse.

The latest complaint from DiCaprio says the Linclaus' lawsuit has no merit, but if damages are found then the contractors are to blame.

Phone messages left after business hours to attorneys for the two sides and to the central contractor named in the suit were not immediately returned.

Previous court papers filed by DiCaprio contend the Linclaus may have caused the problems by installing an "illegal railroad tie retaining wall."

DiCaprio, 33, was a best-actor Oscar nominee last year for "Blood Diamond." His films also include "The Departed" and the megablockbuster "Titanic."

 

Click here for more headlines from ABC7 Eyewitness News


Load Comments