• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

2 dead of gas poisoning after leaving oven on

January 1, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
A mother and daughter were found dead in their Willowbrook home after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from leaving the oven on to heat the house.A family member found 81-year-old Doris Hobson and her daughter, 62-year-old Yvonne Hobson, inside their apartment Saturday afternoon. The younger victim's daughter said that after not receiving a response to phone calls, she went to the house and smelled a strong odor of gas.

She said she found the oven on and closed the oven door before quickly exiting the residence. The victims were pronounced dead at the scene by fire personnel.

Officials said it appeared the victims had opened the oven door and turned it on in order to heat the house and were overcome by the fumes while they were sleeping. Neighbors said they often used the oven to heat the house and weren't aware of the dangers.

Load Comments