• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Donald Trump won't drive Indy 500 pace car

In an ABC News interview, Donald Trump attacked President Barack Obama on the citizenship issue.

May 5, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
After an uproar over Donald Trump being scheduled to drive at Indianapolis 500, Trump dropped out of the event himself on Thursday.

Indy organizers had asked Trump last month to drive the pace car at this year's event, sparking a movement on Facebook to get the billionaire booted. The page had thousands of supporters, all upset at Trump for questioning President Barack Obama's birthplace.

Trump said he decided against partaking in the event because he felt it was "inappropriate" since "he may be announcing shortly his intention" to run for president. He also said it would be impossible to fulfill the required practice sessions that occur late in race week because of his busy schedule.

A replacement is expected to be named later this month. The race is scheduled for May 29.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Load Comments