• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Pit bull 'Indy' recovering after burned by fireworks

July 11, 2013 12:00:00 AM PDT
Veterinarians treating a 2-year-old pit bull say he is in extreme pain after he was severely burned on the Fourth of July.

Dr. Daniel Slaton of Westlake Village Animal Hospital says it appears the dog was burned by fireworks.

"Fireworks were strapped to him and basically lit on fire, and (he) has third degree burns on most of his rear legs, his paws, and part of his thorax," said Slaton.

"When I saw him on Sunday, his chances were nothing, and now he's getting real help from people, but it's going to be a long, painful road," said Allison Polumbus.

Polumbus is a volunteer at the East Valley Animal Shelter in Van Nuys. She shot video of the severely burned dog being brought into the Westlake Village Animal Hospital for treatment this week. She saw the dog Thursday for the first time since then.

"To see the wounds open like that, it looks even more painful than when I saw him at the shelter," she said crying.

Rene Ruston rescues pit bulls. She had the severely burned dog taken from the shelter to the animal hospital for treatment. She says he will undergo several surgeries and she is asking for the public's help paying for it.

"This type of cruelty doesn't end at dogs. These types of people will carry it through, and they will harm children," said Ruston.

An anonymous donor is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people cruel enough to do this.

Doctors have named the dog Indy for the Independence Day holiday, and they expect him to make a full recovery. But they say he will need a lifetime of love.

If you have any information or tips about how the dog dot burned, send an email to: info@startrescue.org.


Load Comments