A lighting rig reportedly overheated, setting off a fire sprinkler, and soaking a section of the carpet a few hours before show time. Witnesses said the water smelled like sewage.
Crews were asked to leave the red carpet while the situation was assessed and fixed. Crews used a wet vacuum to quickly clean up the mess.
A representative for the Beverly Hilton released the following statement: "We can confirm that there was a malfunction with a sprinkler near the red carpet. The situation was quickly resolved. Despite the incident the red carpet will open at its regularly scheduled time. As some of the biggest names in entertainment are scheduled to attend Golden Globe Awards tonight, we wanted to give the carpet one last wash before it opened."
The 2014 Golden Globes ceremony airs live from the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California at 5 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. ET.