• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Rapper Kanye West pleads no contest in battery case

March 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM PDT
Rapper Kanye West pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery against a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport.

The plea, entered Monday through his attorney, maintains West's innocence. The 36-year-old did not attend the court hearing.

West was sentenced to two years of probation, 24 anger management therapy sessions and 240 hours of community service.

The rapper was originally charged with misdemeanor counts of battery and grand theft stemming from the July 2013 altercation with photographer Daniel Ramos at LAX. The attempted grand theft charge was dismissed as part of the plea deal.

Ramos alleged West punched him in an unprovoked attack and wrestled his camera to the ground. He told the court he was still taking medication for the injuries he suffered and believed West should be jailed.

"If I did what he did to me, I'd be behind bars," he said. "I was doing my job and he broke the law."

The case was prosecuted by the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office after the District Attorney's Office declined to file any felony charges. The District Attorney's Office noted that Ramos "did not sustain significant injury" and was treated and released the same day.

Ramos filed a civil lawsuit against the rapper back in August. West's plea cannot be used against him in that case.

The July incident is not West's first scuffle with paparazzi. In September 2008, he was arrested for a clash with photographers at LAX. The case, however, was dismissed after West completed anger management treatment and paid photographers for broken equipment.

Earlier this year, West reached a civil settlement with a man he was accused of assaulting in a Beverly Hills medical office.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Load Comments