- Video: Power breakfasts to fire up your engine
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
If you like a nosh that feels more substantial, a quick smoked salmon roll-up is easily put together for transport.
Spread reduced-fat cream cheese on a tortilla with some fiber, add smoked salmon (4 oz.) and sliced tomato. Wash it down with some orange juice for a 520-calorie breakfast.
Or maybe try this Egg McMuffin mimic: The English muffin sandwich by Smart Ones has 210 calories, 5 grams of fat, yet 13 grams of protein, which is substantial. The cholesterol is only 15 milligrams, as this sandwich is made with egg whites.
Of course a fast and easy approach is to stop at Starbucks. Order a tall skinny café latte with the protein plate with peanut butter, and you can be on the road for 470 calories.
Finally, something that takes a bit more time but well worth the effort is an egg and turkey sausage frittata or scramble. Add egg and egg whites, turkey sausage and veggies like mushrooms and bell pepper. Add a whole wheat English muffin with all fruit preserves for a 470-calorie breakfast.
And if you make big batch for your Sunday night dinner, you've got leftovers for your morning wake-up call.Suggested recipe for the egg dish:
- 3 eggs, 3 egg whites
- 4 oz. turkey sausage (meatless sausage like Morningstar farms may be substituted)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 pkg. button or cremini mushrooms
- Sautee veggies in a non-stick pan with sausage.
- Add in whisked eggs and whites.
- Salt and pepper to taste. (Some like sprinkling low-fat cheese like feta and a dash of Worcestershire sauce)
- Scramble together, or fold in the pan and slide out omelet-style