Lindsay Lohan accepts plea deal in lying case

DEL AIRE, Calif.

Lohan pleaded no contest to reckless driving and lying to police, and a charge of obstructing officers was dropped. She will spend 90 days at a locked rehabilitation facility and will not be allowed day passes. The actress was also sentenced to 30 days of community labor, which may be performed in New York, and 18 months of therapy. She was given credit for two months of therapy already completed.

"Lindsay has indicated that she is extremely gratified with the end result," said Lohan's attorney Mark Heller. "At the conclusion of this case, Lindsay will have a completely clean record. She will not have any convictions."

The 26-year-old avoided jail time by accepting the deal. There was a mandatory requirement for five days in jail that was folded into the rehab time. She will also be on probation for two years.

Prosecutors say the plea deal was the same deal they had been offering for the past several months.

Before she left the courtroom, Superior Court Judge James R. Dabney offered her this simple advice: "Don't drive."

Lohan was accused of lying to Santa Monica police officers after her Porsche rear-ended a dump truck on Pacific Coast Highway June 8 as she headed for work on the TV film "Liz & Dick." She said she wasn't driving.

"The city of Santa Monica believes this is a fair result," said Jenn Grigsby, Santa Monica deputy city attorney. "She got the rehab, which is what we believed that she needed."

The starlet was also accused of violating her probation in a misdemeanor jewelry theft case. She was caught shoplifting a $2,500 necklace from jewelry store Kamofie & Company in 2011.

Lohan was late to her Monday court hearing, which was scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. She arrived at LAX on a private jet at about 8:35 a.m. She walked to a waiting SUV at about 8:50 a.m., but shortly after they drove off, they had to return to the airport because they forgot the luggage. At 9:01 a.m., they made a stop at a liquor store and swapped vehicles. Lohan finally arrived at the courthouse at 9:18 a.m. While walking into the building, someone threw glitter on her.

Defense lawyers and a prosecutor met with Dabney in chambers for three and a half hours before Lohan entered the plea.

Even after Lohan had left the courthouse, the Lohan circus was far from over. Her father Michael Lohan shouted at Heller during his news conference, accusing him of misrepresenting the actress.

"He lied to her. She was facing a lot more time, and until Mr. Heller had some pressure put on him today, because the prosecutor's office knows that he was tampering with a witness in case this went to trial. He's going to be investigated now," Michael Lohan said. "This man is going to lose his license."

Heller did not comment on Michael Lohan's accusations.

Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.