Simi Valley homes briefly evacuated due to transformer fire


At about 7 a.m., a transformer caused some trees to catch fire in the 3500 block of Quincy Avenue. A nearby homeowner said the lights flickered in his house and there was a popping noise. Then, he said he smelled smoke.

The small explosion caused several surrounding trees to catch fire, but the small blaze was put out very quickly, thanks to fire crews who were vigilant and ready with extra equipment on hand amid the current Santa Ana wind event.

Though the fire was out, there was a heavy presence of fire officials in the area as a precaution.

Damage was limited to the trees immediately surrounding the transformer and a part of one homeowner's backyard fence.

Some area residents lost power due to the incident. Southern California Edison crews were on scene trying to restore power.

Officials say the winds likely caused the transformer to malfunction.

Copyright © 2023 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.