Man shot on Facebook Live stream confronts shooter at sentencing

Shelley Childers Image
Wednesday, December 18, 2019
EMBED <>More Videos

An emotional scene in court during the sentencing of Cassandra Damper, who pleaded guilty for her role in the shooting of a man during Facebook Live stream.

HOUSTON -- The Texas woman who pleaded guilty to shooting a man in the head during a Facebook Live stream was sentenced to prison on Tuesday.

On Monday, testimony began in the sentencing phase of Cassandra Damper, who pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with reckless serious bodily injury and tampering with evidence.

In court, Devyn Holmes, the man who was shot during the broadcast, testified, marking the first time he came face-to-face with Damper since the Easter Sunday shooting in 2018.

During that incident, Damper, Holmes and another man were sitting in a car outside of a Valero gas station in southwest Houston, streaming live on Facebook. Video showed that Damper's gun went off, striking Holmes in the head.

READ MORE: Facebook Live captures moment Houston man accidentally shot in head outside gas station

Damper's attorney Monique Sparks maintains the shooting was an accident between friends. Holmes describes Damper as just an acquaintance.

During his testimony, Holmes asked that Damper receive time behind bars because he has been living in his own prison since. He's unable to walk, dress or use the restroom alone.

It was also revealed during Monday's hearing that Damper called 911 and reported Holmes shot himself. It wasn't until the next day that police were able to see the video, which showed Damper pulling the trigger.

The court also revealed that HPD Chief Art Acevedo received a copy of the video from Shaquille O'Neal, who saw it from the "Get It Off Your Chest" Facebook group where the stream was posted.

Detectives who took the stand said Damper on scene kept asking how long it was going to take to answer their questions, adding she needed to catch a flight.

WATCH: Devyn Holmes confronts in court person who shot him on Facebook Live stream

Tuesday, Damper was sentenced to serve 10 years for an aggravated assault count and five years for a tampering with evidence charge. Damper will serve the sentences concurrently.

Earlier in the day, Damper took the stand and tearfully admitted to shooting Holmes.

On the stand, Damper confessed, "I shot Devyn," while recounting what happened on the day of the shooting. She also read a letter in court addressed to Holmes, expressing remorse, sorrow and sympathy for what he's gone through.

"Please know how sorry I am during this tough time. I cannot imagine what you are going through or what you are feeling since this tragic accident," Damper read. "There is no amount of anything I can give you. It has hurt me even more to be unable to assist or be by your side during this recovery process."

The grief got too much, Damper said, that she "even thought about killing myself to make it fair."

"I am here to take responsibility for a reckless accident I caused. I was in disbelief because I really thought the gun was not loaded. I was just really scared."

Despite the hardships, Holmes has been making big leaps in his recovery after the horrific digital display. A video posted to Holmes' Instagram page shows him standing up without any help.


Facebook Live captures moment Houston man accidentally shot in head outside gas station

Devyn Holmes celebrates 28th birthday after being shot on Facebook Live in 2018

Woman pleads guilty to shooting man in the head inside car while on Facebook Live