DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Federal authorities investigating the San Bernardino terror attack confirmed on Tuesday the shooter is not believed to be the person who suspiciously tried to enter a high-rise building in downtown Los Angeles.
An official briefed on the investigation told ABC News that the Los Angeles Police Department received two reports of suspicious activity at the location on 601 S. Figueroa Avenue in the weeks prior to the shooting.
The FBI initially began investigating the incident to check whether 28-year-old Syed Farook, who is accused of killing 14 people with his wife during a shooting rampage last week, was one of the suspects entering the building, but hours later confirmed he was not.
Both reports said someone was scoping out the building and tried unsuccessfully to gain access.
When reports of possible ties between the two investigations came out, LA Mayor Eric Garcetti said officials were investigating as a measure of safety.
"...We don't have anything to announce about it but some suspicious interactions that happened, some folks who tried to gain entry and were denied that entry, but seeing whether there's any links to the shooters in San Bernardino and the events that happened," L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti said.
As security is all around to help protect the building and other surrounding high-rises, many that work in the area said they feel safe.
"...I don't really think about it too much. I know some bad stuff happened but I just think it's kind of low probability. It's not something we have to worry about everyday and think about," said Nick D'Argenzio of Los Angeles.
Mayor Garcetti admitted there is always chatter about LA being a target for terrorists but maintained there was no credible threat to the city at the time being.
"But it's important to remember in San Bernardino there was no specific or credible threat either," he added. "We live in a new time where anywhere and anybody potentially can be involved in the sort of act that we saw in San Bernardino."
Federal officials were also looking into whether other locations may have been designated as targets by the perpetrators.
As for Los Angeles, Garcetti said security will increase during the holiday season.
San Bernardino suspect not believed to be subject in downtown LA incident
SAN BERNARDINO MASS SHOOTING
More TOP STORIES News