VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- At least 10 students at Van Nuys Middle School were treated in what officials called a medical emergency after they possibly ingested some sort of cannabis product, authorities said Thursday.
Authorities received an initial call of possible overdoses at the school around 10:30 a.m. Those who were treated were between the ages of 12 and 15, and were experiencing mild to moderate symptoms, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department
The LAFD says seven were transported to a hospital.
"This is not any sort of fentanyl-affiliated overdose. We want to make sure everybody knows that," said the department's Erik Scott.
Officials could not say exactly what the students ingested, but it was believed to be an edible cannabis product.
The LAFD initially expected about four patients but that number quickly increased. Officials say some students may have run and hid in classrooms when emergency crews arrived at the scene.
The school was temporarily placed on lockdown, as worried parents began arriving to pick up their children.
"We take the health and safety of our students very seriously," Los Angeles Unified School District said in a statement. "Every effort is made to ensure our students learn in a safe environment. Los Angeles Unified maintains an ongoing partnership with local health agencies, community partners and medical experts to provide training to school staff and education for our school communities."