Authorities said a suspect forced the teen inside his truck where he allegedly sexually assaulted her.
Authorities said the assault occurred in the area of Red Hill and Mitchell avenues about 7 a.m. Monday.
"Afterwards, he threatened to kill her if she spoke," said Sgt. Duane Havourd of the Tustin Police Department.
Local school officials sent a letter to parents to alert them of the attack and said the girl was safe.
The suspect was described as male between the ages of 25 and 35, Hispanic or white with a Spanish accent, 6 feet tall with a muscular build, with dark brown hair and a mustache. He also had a scar or mark under his right eye. He was last seen wearing a black leather jacket, black leather gloves and was carrying a black semi-automatic handgun.
The suspect may also be driving a small black pickup truck.
Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call the Tustin Police Department at (714) 573-3220.
School officials reminded parents to have their children practice these safety rules:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk with a friend or in a group.
- If a stranger approaches you, do not speak to him or her.
- If you feel you are being followed or something is not right, seek help immediately or go to a place where there are other people.
- If you feel you are in danger and have a cell phone, dial 911.
- Always talk to your parents if you have been approached and ask them to report the incident to the local police department as soon as possible.