Rebels said two vehicles were hit, prompting the others to turn around and race back into the city.
The international aerial onslaught against Moammar Gadhafi's forces has destroyed 30 percent of Libya's military capacity, a senior NATO official said Tuesday.
NATO warplanes have flown 851 sorties in the six days since the alliance took command of all operations from a U.S.-led international force that had been bombing Libya since March 19.
U.S. aircraft have completed their attack missions over Libya.
The U.S. now shifts to a support role, providing services such as midair refueling.
Meantime, Libyan TV has broadcast what it said is new video of Gadhafi in an SUV driving through the capital city of Tripoli on Monday. Gadhafi was not seen.
A government spokesman said Gadhafi won't step down, but is ready to discuss changes in how the country is governed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.