• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Vigil held for year anniversary of slain Redlands teenagers

January 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A vigil was held Thursday at Redlands to remember two teenagers gunned down a year ago Thursday. Their killer still hasn't been found. The deaths of 16-year-old Andrew Jackson and 17-year-old Quinn McCaleb struck a nerve in the community.

They both died on a sidewalk.

That was where the candle light vigil began.

The vigil was intended to show how close this community has come together. Everyone in the area gathered to join each other and show remembrance for what happened.

So far there's only a composite sketch of the suspect in this shooting. He's a Hispanic male between the ages of 17 and 20 years old who escaped in a dark-colored Honda sedan.

Four people were shot that night and two of them died. It's not know what led up to the shooting that night. Some witnesses say it actually started as an argument between two groups of teenagers at an apartment complex.

The victims both went to Redlands East Valley High School. They were both on the football team.

The mother of one of the surviving victims, Jordan Howard, was shot in the face. Gayle Howard said the past year has been incredibly difficult, but in some ways, it's brought the community closer together.

"It affects so many people because all these boys grew up with Junior All-American football, so it affected the rich, the poor, everyone. And so we need to let people know we're one. It hasn't been solved yet but we will get to the bottom of it. We will," said Howard.

The police chief is also very sure that they will get their suspect in custody.

Load Comments