• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Indiana house explosion damage estimated at $3.6 million - official

November 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
Damage from a blast that left two people dead and seven others injured in an Indiana neighborhood has been estimated at $3.6 million.

The explosion happened Saturday night in a middle-class neighborhood in south Indianapolis, leaving blocks of homes uninhabitable.

Deputy Code Enforcement Director Adam Collins said as many as 31 homes were damaged so badly that they might have to be demolished. The explosion damaged a total of 80 homes, and Collins estimated the damage at $3.6 million.

While officials have not released the identities of the two people killed, a candlelight vigil was held Sunday at a local elementary school for second-grade teacher Jennifer Longworth. Longworth and her husband John Dion Longworth, lived in one of the homes destroyed in the blast.

The cause of the explosion remains under investigation. U.S. Rep. Andre Carson, who represents the area, said he had been told a bomb or meth lab explosion had been ruled out.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Load Comments